Thai Style Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
This is one of my all time favorite recipes. I vary the vegetables depending on what I have in the house and garden.
- 1 can (16 oz) coconut milk
- 1-2 Tbs red curry paste (how spicy do you like?)
- 8-10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1/4 x 1 x 2 inch strips (easiest if partially frozen)
- 1-2 Tbs fish sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1/3 chicken stock
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 small can of bamboo shoots
- 1/2 cup sliced red peppers or some diced fresh or canned tomatoes
I got this recipe straight off the jar of Thai red curry paste. I've since made it with green curry paste as well. I love them both.
Heat the coconut milk in a large deep skillet with the curry paste, red or green. Simmer and stir about five minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer, partially covered, about 15 minuts, until the chicken is done. Serve over steamed rice.
You can vary the vegetables according to what you have on hand of course. This is so good and so much cheaper than going out to eat! My local grocery carries the curry paste and fish sauce but search out your local ethnic markets if you can. Likely the quality will be as good or better and the cost will likely be much less!