Make this summer potluck standard ahead and let it chill, even overnight. (It’s also called Overnight Layered Salad). The basis for this one came from The Comfort Table by Katie Lee Joel. You can find a variety of different vegetables used for some of the layers. I used lettuce, celery, red pepper, scallions, peas, then the mayo dressing, followed by the bacon and cheddar cheese. Hmm, that’s 8 layers. Oh well.
7 Layer Salad aka Pea Salad
- 1 head head lettuce chopped or shredded as you please
- 1 stalk chopped celery
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 3 green onions chopped (whites and greens)
- 10 ounces frozen peas
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1/2 sour cream and 1/2 mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs minced fresh parsley
- 8 slices bacon fried and crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- In a glass bowl, layer the lettuce, celery, red pepper, green onions, and peas.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, sugar and parsley together, then spread over the peas. Sprinkle the bacon and cheese over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least a few hours or as long as overnight.
I saw a variety of dressings used too. Some had grated Parmesan instead of the Cheddar. Others added sliced hardboiled eggs and/or tomatoes just before serving.
How do you make your layered salad? I’ve seen recipes with cucumber, mushrooms, green pepper, black olives, and water chestnuts.