This recipe came from Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. I’ve seen soft boiled eggs on top of various things before, including asparagus but had not gotten around to trying it. The other night I was home alone for dinner and felt like cooking but not like creating something with tons of leftovers. Eggs came to me, as it’s easy to make a perfect size omelet or even just scrambled eggs and hash browns. But I was leafing through this book and saw the picture of this salad and decided to try it. For a side dish, I would use one egg per person but it was my whole dinner so I used two.
I’d not seen the idea of cooking the soft boiled eggs in the bacon grease before. You could certainly skip that step and avoid a bit more bacon fat, but it did add a nice flavor to the eggs.
Soft-Boiled Egg and Asparagus Salad
- lettuce of your choice
- 1 - 2 eggs per person
- 4-6 pieces of asparagus per person
- cooked and crumbled bacon
- vinaigrette of your choice
- Bring a pot of water to boil then carefully lower the eggs into it. Cook 6 minutes, then carefully lift the eggs out and place in cold water until you're about ready to eat.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet and drain on paper towels. Leave a bit of the bacon grease in the pan.
- Trim the asparagus and peel the ends, then simmer about 4 minutes, until tender.
- Mix up a vinaigrette, keeping it simple I think. Her recipe called for sherry vinegar and a bit of Dijon mustard.
- Toss the lettuce with the dressing and put on a plate. Toss the asparagus with a bit more dressing and lay on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle some crumbled bacon on top of all this.
- Heat the bacon grease back up while carefully peeling the eggs. The yolks will not be set and the whites will be very soft so handle carefully! Cook the eggs a minute or so in the bacon grease, until lightly browned. Place on top of the asparagus and cut in half, then serve.
Here’s an easy vinaigrette.