Searching through the vegetable bin this evening, I saw the cauliflower I’d bought earlier. My cauliflower always ends up with (or starts with?) grey spots on it, but I just cut them off. I’m guessing that just means they’re a bit older than they should be. The joys of supermarket shopping. Anyway, I’ve done Fried Cauliflower, Cauliflower and Carrots, and Zucchini, and a plain cheese sauce on cauliflower but none of those sounded good tonight. I had torn out a recipe for a mashed cauliflower (a la mashed potatoes) but couldn’t find it, so I tried this.
Baked Creamy Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower cut in florets
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 3 Tbs butter divided
- salt and pepper
- 1-2 Tbs bread crumbs
- Cook the cauliflower in simmering water until soft, about 15-20 minutes. Drain. (On the CheapCooking theme, save the water for some soup.)
- Mash the cauliflower, milk, egg, cheese, and 2 Tbs of the butter together. Spread in a greased loaf pan or small casserole dish. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top and dot the last tablespoon of butter on it.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so.