You can use grated Mozzarella, which is how I always used to do it, or diced Mozzarella. Now I tend to dice it as I like getting a bite with a small chunk of melted cheese in it. It’s good with meatballs or meat sauce; just use what you have.
I gave quite a variance on the cooking times as I’ve seen recipes (and cooked the pasta) at both ends of these ranges. The longer cooking times had more sauce I think and gave a firmer texture in the end.
- 2 -3 cups meat sauce or marinara sauce with meatballs
- 1/2 pound of small tubular pasta ziti, penne, etc.
- 1 cup grated or diced Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the meat sauce up. (I usually make extra and freeze in 2 cup portions.)
- Boil the pasta according to the package directions and drain. Mix the pasta into most of the meat sauce and then pour half the pasta into an 8×8 pan. Top with Mozzarella and then half the Parmesan. Pour the leftover sauce on top of the pasta, then pour the rest of the pasta on top. Top with the rest of the Parmesan.
- Cover with foil at bake at 350 for 20 -45 minutes, then uncover for 5 -15 more minutes. Let sit a few minutes before serving.
- NOTE: You can also freeze this and bake, covered, 45 minutes or so, until heated through.
If you want want a fuller recipe with ricotta with directions for making the meat sauce. go here.