Bubble and Squeak - Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage and Onions
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut in 2" chunks
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 small green cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and cut in 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put the potato pieces in a saucepan and just cover them with water. Put the green onions and cabbage on top of the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and the lower the heat to a simmer. Cook about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and cabbage are cooked through and soft.
- Drain and mash in the butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- In a skillet, heat a bit of oil. Drop a large spoonful of the potato and cabbage mixture in the pan and flatten it slightly. Cook until lightly browned on one side, then flip over and cook the other side.