Eldest is off for her first year of college. Youngest chose Cheeseburger Soup as our first meal together with just the two of us. I took shortcuts tonight, using a can of cream of mushroom soup instead of making my own white sauce and using some chopped mushrooms.
If you want to see how to make it without using a can of soup, go here.
Cheeseburger Soup with Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 pound of ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 14.5 ounce can of cream of mushroom or whatever soup or make your own
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 8 ounces cubed or shredded American or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Brown the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes or so. Drain the fat off and add the carrots and celery and cook, stirring periodically, another 10 minutes or so.
- Add the broth, potatoes, salt, pepper, basil and parsley. Bring to a low simmer and cover. Cook, stirring now and then, about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the cream of mushroom soup, stirring until heated through. Stir in the cheese and then just before serving stir in the sour cream.
This is not health food. But it is hearty and filling and relatively cheap per serving. There are LOTS of leftovers and it will provide us with many lunches this coming week, plus another dinner.