I made a great cream of broccoli soup, following Bittman’s How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food. He uses the same basic recipe for cream of nearly any vegetable soup, so feel free to substitute carrots, celery, cauliflower, turnips, etc.
Cheesy Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound about 4 cups of vegetable, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 to 1 cup cream or milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- minced fresh parsley for garnish
- Combine the broth, vegetables, rice (or potato) and bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer about 15-20 minutes, until the vegetables are very tender.
- Puree with an immersion blender or food mill or regular blender (let it cool a bit first for anything other than the immersion blender). Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add the cream. Add the cheese and stir until melted, then garnish with fresh parsley.
I used the full cup of cream AND added the Cheddar cheese because I felt like it.
It was awfully tasty!