This Cherry Crunch is like a crisp but with the crunchy oatmeal based topping also added to the bottom of the dish as well for double crunchy goodness. The recipe is straight from Joy of Cooking, one of the books that would be on my list of “if you could pick just one cookbook” except that I used two cans of pie cherries, a bit more than the 2 cups called for in the original recipe but what would I do with a leftover bit of pie cherries?
- 2 15-oz cans pie cherries, drained, reserving 1/2 cup of the juice
- 2 Tbs quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 cup butter, melted plus more for buttering the baking dish
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal (5 minute kind okay, but not instant)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Butter a 9x9 baking dish.
- Drain the pie cherries, reserving at least 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Mix the 1/2 cup cherry juice with the tapioca and let sit while you get everything else ready.
- Melt the 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan or in the microwave, then mix it with the brown sugar, oatmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Put half the oatmeal mix in the buttered baking dish and pat out until the bottom is covered.
- Pour the cherries and tapioca and cherry juice into the dish and spread out.
- Top with the rest of the oatmeal mix.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Great warm and good at room temperature as well.