I started with this recipe from Allrecipes.com and modified it a bit according to various comments and what I had on hand. It was really good and very filling. I have lots left over for lunches and froze some for later.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can of corn
- 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies
- 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
To add at the table:
- crushed tortilla chips
- grated Jack cheese
- chopped green onions
- sliced avocados
- Heat the broth to a simmer in a soup pot and poach the chicken breasts until done, about 10 - 15 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate and shred with two forks. Pour the broth off into a bowl (or use another pan to make the soup in).
- Heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook a minute, then add the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook 10-20 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, chilies, beans, cilantro, and chicken and simmer another 20 minutes or so.
- Serve the soup and have tortilla chips, cheese, green onions, and avocado slices in bowls to pass around.