I’m cleaning up the site again (does it ever end?) and converting recipes, finding recipes that didn’t make it to WordPress when I moved things, adding photos, reworking things. So please let me know if you see anything wonky. This recipe for Chickpeas and Sausage came from Fast Food My Way by Jacques Pepin. I’d been watching this series on television and learning a lot. You could leave out the sausage and make it more of a side dish.
I used fresh tomatoes from the garden but you could use canned as well. You could also use different kinds of beans.
Chickpeas and Sausage
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic about 1 Tbs
- 1 16- oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup
- chicken broth
- 1/2 pound cooked sausage kielbasa, smoked beef, etc.
- salt and pepper to taste
- minced fresh parsley to garnish
- Heat the oil and saute both kinds of onions for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until softened a bit.
- Add everything else except the parsley and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. .
- Just before serving, take the lid off and boil a few minutes to evaporate more of the liquid.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with a bit of fresh parsley. Makes about 4 servings.