I have done this with just cucumbers and onions before but added the sprouts last night and really enjoyed the extra crunch! You could make this spicy by adding 2 Thai chilies, seeded and minced but I left that out!
Cucumber and Sprout Salad
- 1 cup boiling water
- 5 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 large or 2 small cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 Thai chilies, seeded and minced optional
- a few handfuls of bean sprouts
- Mix together the water, sugar, and salt and stir till dissolved. Then stir in the vinegar and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Put the cucumbers, onions, peppers if using, and sprouts in a bowl and pour the cooled dressing over them. Refrigerate at least an hour, preferably overnight.
You don’t have to seed the cucumber of course. But if you want to, just peel it then slice it lengthwise to expose the seeds. Use a small spoon or the edge of your vegetable peeler to scrape out the seeds.
[…] night I also made a sort of cucumber and sprout salad to go with […]