This Easier Than Stir-Fry Chicken is from Linda Eckhardt’s “Feed Your Family on $10 a Day” cookbook, which is out of print at this point but pick it up used if you can find a copy. She said the recipe started as a plum stir-fry chicken but sometimes she didn’t have plum jam. And she hates stir-frying because it’s messy. She kept eliminating things to get this simple recipe. I like making a good stir-fry, too, but sometimes you just need something simple!
Easier Than Stir-Fry Chicken
- 3 chicken breast halves or thighs
- Half a small onion about 1/3 cup minced
- 1 Tbs fresh ginger or 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Juice and pulp of one orange or lemon
- 1/2 cup jelly plum, apricot, crabapple, etc.
- Preheat oven to 475.
- Skin and bone the chicken pieces and tear or cut into bite size chunks.
- Make a sauce of the remaining ingredients, then mix in the chicken, coating
- all the pieces. Let stand until the oven is heated. Put the chicken and
- sauce in a flat glass dish large enough to hold the pieces of chicken
- without overlapping. Cook uncovered about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve over rice.