Leftover Ham? Let’s see, there’s scrambled eggs with ham, quiche, ham and Swiss cheese sandwiches, split pea soup, macaroni and cheese with ham, grilled cheese and ham sandwiches… Oh, the list could go on and on.
This is similar to macaroni and cheese but is made with egg noodles and Swiss cheese. I cut the recipe in half because I didn’t want leftovers. As listed below, it served an adult and two children comfortably. It’s from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. (If I could only have one cookbook, I’d have a hard time choosing between this and Bittman’s How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food .)
Ham and Swiss Cheese Noodle Bake
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 Swiss cheese, grated this is more than the original called for but I liked it cheesy
- 3/4 cup finely chopped ham
- 1/4 pound egg noodles, cooked
- Cook the noodles and drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and cook the onion until soft.
- In a bowl, combine the egg and sour cream and mix until smooth. Add the cheese, ham, and cooked onions and mix well. You could add salt but for me the ham was plenty. Add the cooked noodles and mix gently.
- Pour into a greased 1 quart casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or so, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. The original recipe called for 30-45 minutes, but that was with double the ingredients. It will cook a bit faster if it’s shallow like mine was in an 8×8 pan.