Well, the new year started with a big nothing here as I lay on the couch with what turned into bronchitis. But all’s better now and I’m ready to cook! I saw this Vermont Cheddar Soup on Sassy Radish.
I didn’t change the recipe at all, except that I used turkey broth I’d made and frozen after Thanksgiving. I loved the texture of the carrots and celery in this soup. This will definitely be made again! It is most decidedly not diet food but it is delicious and really hit the spot last night.
Vermont Cheddar Soup
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 8 Tbs butter
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups hot chicken or turkey broth
- 3 cups grated extra-sharp Vermont cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half
- fresh parlsey chopped
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and blanch the grated carrots and minced celery for 30 seconds. Scoop out the vegetables and put them in a bowl of ice cold water to stop them from cooking.
- Melt the butter over low heat. Add the onion, thyme, and bay leaf, raise the heat a bit and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and stir in the flour and cook about 2 minutes, stirring most of the time. Add the hot broth a cup or so at a time and whisk after each addition until the soup is smooth.
- Stir in half the Cheddar until melted, then stir in the other half until melted.
- Drain the carrots and celery and add to the soup along with the half and half. Taste and add salt and pepper. Garnish with the fresh parsley.
Our orange tree has gone to town this year with the most delicious oranges we’ve ever had from the tree maybe. I was going to make a simple orange and avocado salad but then saw the pack of spinach I had in the fridge so opted to include that. And some red onion and toasted sesame seeds.
I got all fancy and made the vinaigrette called out in Joy of Cooking for a similar salad with grapefruit, which used orange juice and lemon juice. It was good but I actually think a simple olive oil and lemon juice vinaigrette would have been even better.
Sometimes simple is good.
Happy New Year to you all!