Pureed Beets with Yogurt and Za'atar from Jerusalem
- about 1 pound beets
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small red chile, seeded and diced
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons date syrup (or maple syrup or pomegranate molasses)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil (plus extra to finish)
- 1 Tablespoon za'atar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons toasted hazelnuts or walnuts, chopped
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oven to 400. Roast the beets in a roasting pan until soft, about 1 hour but it depends on the size of your beets. Let the beets cool off and then peel them. I like to use a paper towel to scrape the skin off. Cut each beet into 6 pieces.
- Put the beets, garlic, chili and yogurt in a food processor and process until really smooth. Put the beet and yogurt mixture into a bowl and stir in the date syrup, olive oil, za'atar and salt. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Top with the green onions, nuts and goat cheese, then drizzle a little more olive oil over it all.
- Serve at room temperature.