Okay, I’ve heard the purists say a shepherd’s pie should be made from minced lamb rather than ground beef so I have no idea what to call one made from turkey! But it was good and used up a bit of leftovers with a slightly different taste.
Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 Tbs butter
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 to 1 cup leftover gravy
- 1/2 to 1 cup turkey broth
- 1-2 cups chopped cooked turkey
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tbs butter
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat the 1 Tbs butter and saute the carrots, celery, and onion until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the gravy, broth, turkey, and parsley and heat. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary. Pour into a buttered shallow casserole dish (8×8 at least, but a bit larger if possible).
- Melt the other 3 Tbs of butter and put the mashed potatoes in the pan, stirring until heated through. Spread the potatoes over the turkey mixture, then sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake at 350 about 20 minutes.