Chicken and Corn Chowder
This delicious chicken and corn chowder includes butternut squash, green onions and red bell pepper.
- 2-3 Tbs bacon grease or butter or oil or some combination
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbs flour
- 5 cups broth vegetable or chicken
- 2 cups peeled, seeded, butternut squash in 1/2" cubes
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 16 ounces frozen corn kernels or fresh if you have it!
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half or cream, depending on your decadence level
- 1-2 cups cooked leftover roast chicken, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green onions, plus more for garnish
- 3-4 springs fresh parsley, chopped
Heat the bacon grease and cook the onion and half the red pepper about 10 minutes, until soft.
Add the flour and cook, stirring, another 2 minutes or so.
Add the broth, squash, potato, and thyme and mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer about 10 minutes, until the squash and potato are soft.
Stir in the corn, milk, and the rest of the bell pepper and cook about 10 more minutes. Stir in the chicken, green onions, and parsley and simmer 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with the bacon and more green onions.