Being a fan of almost anything pickled, I decided to try zucchini pickles. Even though I only planted 3 plants and 1 is not producing, I’m still finding we have plenty of zucchini. I saw this recipe for zucchini pickles in my Cooking Light magazine and decided to give them a try.
I made these with one large-ish zebra striped zucchini.
Zucchini Refrigerator Pickles
- 4 cups 1/8" zucchini slices
- 1 cup onion sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Bring the vinegar, sugar, red pepper, mustard seeds and salt to a boil and stir, then take off the heat.
- Combine the zucchini, onion and garlic in a bowl and mix together. Put it all in a 1 quart jar or other container and pour the vinegar mix over it. Refrigerate 24 hours.
I really like the sweet and spicy combo but I wish there was a way to make the crispier. Still, a nice side dish for a change if you like pickled things.