Tonight’s dinner was chicken quarters, potato wedges, and broccoli and cheese sauce. The chicken quarters had been bought on sale a while ago. I threw a few pieces into each freezer bag and mixed up various marinades and threw them in. This was essentially oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt I think. Can’t quite remember… Anyway I pulled them out of the freezer yesterday and had them in the fridge but they weren’t totally thawed so I used the microwave to finish thawing. I laid them skin side up in a baking dish and started them at 350, planning on an hour’s cooking time.
I decided to make these cheesy potato wedges so turned the oven up to 400 after the chicken had been cooking half an hour.
Cheesy Potato Wedges
- 3 baking potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedges length-wise
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them into fourths length-wise.
- In a flattish bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, paprika and garlic powder.
- Put the melted butter in a bowl and and add the potato wedges, rolling them around to get covered in the butter. Then roll the potatoes in the bread crumb mixtures.
- Lay the potatoes in a single layer in a baking dish and bake for about 35 minutes.
The broccoli was fresh. I generally just “steam” it in the microwave. It stays nice and green that way and doesn’t get mushy. I cut it into chunks and put in a covered dish with a few tablespoons of water and microwaved about 3 minutes (for about 2 cups). I made up a cheese sauce and poured that into the broccoli, then covered with the leftover bread crumbs from the chicken and baked it for the final 15 minutes with everything else.
The girls pronounced everything but the broccoli “3 stars”, especially the potatoes. The broccoli they happily ate when I mentioned the See’s Candy we had for desert and pronounced it “not too bad.”