I’ve made green chicken curry before, just following the basic recipe on the back of the green curry paste jar. The other night I decided to try a red curry, a bit milder I’m told. The original recipe called for flank steak but I didn’t have one around so defrosted a tri tip steak instead.
Red Beef Curry
- 10 ounces trimmed beef steak, cut into 1/4 x 2 x 1 inch pieces roughly (easier if partially frozen)
- 1 16 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-2 Tbs red curry paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 small can bamboo shoots, about 1 cup
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 Tbs water
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 to 1/2 red pepper, cut in strips
- 2 Tbs green peas, fresh or frozen
- steamed rice
- Heat 1 cup of the coconut milk in a large deep frying pan or wok and stir in the red curry paste. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens a bit. Stir in the fish sauce, the rest of the coconut milk and the beef strips.
- Stir for 30 seconds and add the bamboo strips and sugar. Add the water and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or so, until the beef is cooked through. Add most of the basil leaves, reserving a few for garnish. Add the red pepper strips and peas and cook, stirring, until they’re warmed through and slightly cooked.
- Serve topped with a few basil leaves for garnish, with plenty of steamed rice.