I made the chicken burrito bowls again and played around with a different way to dress up the canned black beans for a day when I didn’t have time to caramelize the onions. You just add some dried spices and a minced clove of garlic and voila! Dressed up black beans. Of course, if you were good, you would cook them up from scratch and freeze in 2 cup portions but cooking for just 1 or 2 I do find the canned beans quite convenient!
If you buy the huge container of taco seasoning at Costco or other big box store, you could just as easily sprinkle the chicken with that, although I like the chili powder version below. I might add some cumin next time. You can add more or less lettuce, skip the rice and just have lettuce if you want a chicken taco salad. I like to let everyone build their own, in which case this could easily work for a partial vegetarian group as they could just leave out the chicken.
Oh, and I didn’t make guacamole this time. I just put out a dish with chunks of ripe avocado sprinkled with a bit of lime juice. I like the texture better that way I think.
Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 2 rice cooker cups of rice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- most of the juice of one lime
- salt to taste
Dressed Up Black Beans
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- lime juice
- grated Cheddar cheese
- avocado chunks or guacamole
- sour cream
- chopped crispy lettuce like Romaine
- chopped tomato and/or salsa
Cilantro Lime Rice
- Start the rice in a rice cooker (or cook about 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of water in a saucepan).
- When it's done, stir in the chopped cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste.Keep warm.
Dressed Up Black Beans
- Drain one can of the beans, then pour the other can (including liquid) plus the drained beans into a saucepan. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic and bay leaf. Set over low heat and simmer, stirring now and then, while you cook the chicken.
Burrito Bowl Chicken
- Cut the chicken into cubes and salt and pepper the pieces.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon oil. Add the onion and chicken. Sprinkle the chili powder and oregano while stirring the chicken and onion, then let it brown a bit before stirring again. Depending on the size of chicken pieces, the chickens should be done in 5-7 minutes.
- Get all the condiments ready during this time, just stirring the chicken a few times.
- When the chicken's done, sprinkle with a bit of lime juice for extra flavor.
For the Condiments
- Put each condiment into a bowl with a serving spoon or fork. If you're using plain avocado, sprinkle the pieces with a bit of lime juice to keep them from discoloring.
- Put the rice, chicken and beans into bowls.
- Serve everything at the table and let folks build their own burrito bowls.