I had some great homemade chicken broth, all jellied up and good, and poached chicken and I had a craving for some chicken tortilla soup. When I say chicken tortilla soup, it has to include lime juice and avocados (and chicken of course!). Much else is negotiable.
I started here with a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup from Emeril but made a few changes. I didn’t want it too spicy so skipped his whole Cajun seasoning thing. Also, I had some low fat tortilla chips and saw no reason to use 2 cups (!!!) of vegetable oil for frying corn tortillas up. If you do have corn tortillas you want to crisp, spray with a bit of oil and bake them. Sheesh. Even when I fry corn tortillas up for tacos, I do not use 2 cups of oil! (If you do use 2 cups of oil, make sure you strain it and save it for another use.)
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 Tbs chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked diced or shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- sour cream at the table
- Heat the oil and cook the onion, garlic, jalapeno, salt, cumin and coriander for 5-10 minutes until the onions are golden. Watch the heat so the onions and garlic don't brown. You just want them golden.
- Stir in the tomato paste and heat another minute or two. Add the chicken broth and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped or shredded chicken and simmer another 5 minutes or so. Timing's not crucial. Add the cilantro and lime juice, stir, and turn the heat off. Cover and let sit until the rest of your dinner's done!
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with bowls of tortilla chips, chopped avocados and sour cream so everyone can add what they like!
Just making chips, basically. So sprayed and laid flat on a cookie sheet.
when you say to spray the corn tortillas and bake do you make folded??