This soup is great with frozen or fresh broccoli. I always use homemade chicken or turkey broth, and I think that helps with the flavor, and vary the spices now and then. Sometimes I don’t use any cheese or I use 1/2 cup of cheese and 1/2 cup of half and half like I did tonight. (You can leave out the cheese and half and half altogether or use 1 cup of milk or whatever you around if you’re watching your calories.) My broth was a bit bland this time around so I added the Worcestershire and mustard, a new addition. But if you have good broth, you can just use the cayenne and nutmeg for seasoning (plus salt and pepper at the table).
Cream of Broccoli Soup with Cheese
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp oil
- 20 oz frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 quart chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup water or just use 5 cups broth if you have it
- 1/3 cup oatmeal not instant, but 5 minute or so * you can also substitute rice
- a pinch of nutmeg
- a pinch of cayenne
- a few grinds of the pepper grinder
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce optional
- 1 tsp dry mustard optional
- 8 oz grated or diced Cheddar cheese optional
- 1/2 cup half and half or milk for a lighter soup
- Heat the oil and saute the onion until soft.
- After the onion has cooked a few minutes, add the broth, broccoli, oatmeal, and seasonings. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered, 20 minutes or so, stirring now andthen. Basically, you want the broccoli cooked through.
- Use an immersion blender to cream the soup. Just stick it right in the pot and blend!
- After blending, stir in the cubed cheese, if using, until melted, then stir in the half and half or milk, warm up a minute or two and serve.
An immersion blender, also called a Stick Hand Blender (affiliate link) makes creaming the soup wonderfully easy! Just stick it right in the pot and blend! No more transferring hot liquids to your blender and making a mess.
[…] broccoli and cauliflower I decided to make a cream soup and remembered how good and easy this cream of broccoli soup recipe was. I used half cauliflower and half broccoli with oatmeal to thicken it up a bit. Instead of […]
[…] was broccoli and cheddar soup from Desperation Dinners. A similar version is here, although in the book there is also some Worcestershire sauce, Parmesan cheese and sour cream. I […]