Creamed turkey or chicken is an easy comforting meal that my kids really enjoy.
Creamed Turkey (or Chicken)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups diced turkey or chicken, of course
- 1/2 cup grated cheese optional
- Melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until softened, stirring. Stir in the flour, stirring constantly and let cook a few minutes over medium heat. Stir in the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly. A whisk works well for this. Heating the chicken broth and milk helps make things go smoother here.
- Let this cook until simmering, stirring frequently. Simmer at the lowest possible bubbling point until thickened a bit. Stir in the chicken. Add the cheese if you want. I've made it often without any cheese but it's a nice touch if you have it. Taste and salt and pepper as needed.
Serve this over mashed potatoes, toast, English muffins, cornbread–whatever!