Creamed turkey or chicken is an easy comforting meal that my kids really enjoy.
Creamed Turkey (or Chicken)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups diced turkey or chicken, of course
- 1/2 cup grated cheese optional
- Melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until softened, stirring. Stir in the flour, stirring constantly and let cook a few minutes over medium heat. Stir in the chicken broth and milk, stirring constantly. A whisk works well for this. Heating the chicken broth and milk helps make things go smoother here.
- Let this cook until simmering, stirring frequently. Simmer at the lowest possible bubbling point until thickened a bit. Stir in the chicken. Add the cheese if you want. I've made it often without any cheese but it's a nice touch if you have it. Taste and salt and pepper as needed.
You can serve this over toast, mashed potatoes, corn bread and so forth. It's just a nice comfort food, warm and smooth. The kids love it.
Serve this over mashed potatoes, toast, English muffins, cornbread–whatever!
Hi, Happy Thanksgiving and now Happy Holidays! You have loads of great advice on the site, I was going to request a little more. I am horrible at shopping in advance and I was wondering if you could suggest a list of things I should stock up on in advance. I don’t have special tastes/needs, I just want to save money – what are the most useful food products to purchase in bulk ahead of time for use later. Thanks!