This one came via my sister. I used some turkey broth rather than the chicken broth her recipe included. We all love lentil soup and this one was a real winner. The milk and cumin added a bit of different flavor to it. Having the rice in it reminded me of adding oatmeal to the my cream of broccoli soup. As written below, I thought it was perfect.
My kids thought it a bit spicy so you may want to cut down the black pepper and just spice it up at the table. The original recipe called for a mix of canned broth and a cup of water. I just used all broth.
Creamy Lentil Soup
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 36 ounces broth turkey, chicken, or vegetable
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups low fat or skim milk
- Heat the oil over medium heat and cook the carrots and onion 5-10 minutes, stirring.
- Add the lentils, rice, salt, cumin, pepper, broth, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, stir, cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes--until the lentils are tender.
- Use a hand immersion blender to blend the soup or transfer it half at a time into your food processor or blender and blend a bit. I personally like it to still be a bit chunky so I didn't make it totally smooth.
- Stir in the milk and heat over low until warmed through.