I love a sauce made from fresh tomatoes as much as anyone, but in the winter… I refuse to buy tomatoes in the winter as they’re so tasteless and of dubious texture. I grow tomatoes in the summer and would rather do without when they’re like cardboard. But canned tomatoes are of decent quality to me. I have a few different sauce recipes I like, some with paste and some without. I typically use the tomato puree as my kids don’t like a chunky sauce but you could make this Easy Spaghetti Sauce from Canned Tomatoes with diced tomatoes, too.
Easy Spaghetti Sauce from Canned Tomatoes and Sauce
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 30 ounce can tomato puree
- 1 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning mix or just some dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Heat the oil and saute the onion until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato puree, sauce, sugar, Italian seasoning, red pepper and wine.
- Simmer 30 minutes or more over very low heat, stirring now and then.