I made fried chicken the other night using my electric skillet (affiliate link). Sometimes I brine the chicken overnight but I skipped that step Sunday because I didn’t decide what to make until late that afternoon.
I served this with fried green tomatoes and creamed corn.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoons salt
- pinch of cayenne if you like it spicy
- oil or Crisco for frying
- Mix the flour, salt and peppers in a shallow bowl.
- Put the buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the buttermilk and then into the flour mixture one at a time.
- Shake excess flour off and set the chicken on a wire rack while the oil heats.
- Heat 1/2″ of oil to about 350F in a deep skillet or electric skillet.
- Lay the chicken pieces in the hot oil skin side down. Cook about 15 minutes. Monitor the oil–you may want to turn it down a little.
- Turn the chicken pieces and cook another 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Take the chicken out of the frying pan and lay on a brown paper bag to drain. Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.