I don’t often buy those jars of seasonings that are a mix as I prefer to mix up my own in different ways. However, Penzey‘s sent me a sample of their Greek Seasoning mix with one of my orders and I fell in love with it. So far, I have only grilled chicken that has marinated in the mix plus lemon juice, olive oil and extra oregano. I need to find some more uses for it since I ended up buying more. (Their evil ploy worked! ha ha)
I’ve done this with bone-in chicken pieces and boneless skinless chicken breasts. I try to marinade the chicken at least a few hours but it’s good even if you only have a half hour or so.
Greek Grilled Chicken
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup lemon juice 1 or 2 lemons
- 2 - 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp Penzey's Greek Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- chicken parts or boneless skinless chicken breasts
- This makes enough to marinate 4-5 pieces of chicken, or even a whole cut up chicken if you go on the larger portions of oil and lemon juice.
- Mix up the marinade. Add the chicken pieces to a bag or dish and pour the marinade in. You can do this in the morning and get the best flavor or even just an hour or so before dinner. If you're marinating it longer, pull the chicken out of the refrigerator the last hour and let it come to room temperature.
- Grill over medium heat until just cooked through and then let sit, covered with foil, 5 minutes or so to finish cooking. For boneless skinless chicken breast this took me about 15 minutes total, flipping the breasts halfway through.
- Discard the marinade.