I keep wanting to make homemade mayonnaise but I’ve failed several times. Then I saw this idea for using a stick blender in a Mason jar and decided to try again. I think it’s worthwhile watching both her video and her inspiration on Serious Eats about making mayonnaise with just an egg yolk.
There are small differences in the recipe.
I used olive oil and I think a bit too much lemon juice so mine is pretty yellow!
The egg was from my own hens, who lay eggs with really bright yellow yolks. And the olive oil itself was pretty strong in color.
But the taste was really good!
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1 cup mild vegetable oil
- Add everything to a wide mouth mason jar. Let the oil rise to the top.
- Put your immersion blender at the bottom of jar and turn on at high speed.
- Slowly raise your blender as the mixture emulsifies.
- Keep refrigerated and use within 2 weeks.
I topped some grilled asparagus with it. Mmmm.
Reading through the comments on the Serious Eats site. I think it’s worth experimenting with a milder oil and also adding some sugar.
Have you made mayonnaise before? Any tips to share? This is the first (successful) time for me so I really want to hear your experiences. I’ve got lots of eggs right now so don’t anticipate buying mayonnaise for a while.
Leave a Reply