The genesis of this is from Rachael Ray Express Lane Meals: What to Keep on Hand, What to Buy Fresh for the Easiest-Ever 30-Minute Meals, but I found her version very bland. Intriguing and oh so close, but bland. I added some Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and suddenly it was GREAT! Can’t vouch for the kid friendliness as they were gone and I made it for my friend Tom.
This makes about 4 servings.
Italian Style Sloppy Joe's
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 green pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 5 large cloves of garlic minced (and divided)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg I don't know that this added much
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 14- oz can diced tomatoes she said crushed but diced is what I had
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup ketchup
- rolls or hamburger buns
- butter and fresh garlic to taste
- slices of mozzarella to top the sandwiches
- Brown the ground beef with the green peppers, onion, most of the garlic, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. When it's done, drain any excess grease off.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook 5 minutes, stirring. Add the wine, bring to a simmer and cook a minute or so, then stir in the beef broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire, and ketchup. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir now and then.
- Meanwhile, mix some of the garlic with some softened butter, enough to spread over however many rolls you are using. Broil the buns a bit until browned slightly. Place some of the meat on top of each bun and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Broil until the cheese is softened and serve.
Leave a Reply