Today I made “kitchen sink” or “garbage” soup for dinner.
Here’s what I put in:
- a quart of hamburger broth (from boiling hamburger)
- a small container of mixed beans from the freezer
- a few cups of some turkey and vegetable soup I found in the freezer
- some leftover round steak and juices from the freezer (I chopped the meat into small pieces)
- half a bag of mixed frozen vegetables (beans, broccoli, onions I think) from the freezer
- some brown rice to thicken it a bit
- a can of chicken rice soup that I remembered no one had really liked and figured this was better than throwing it away
It tasted fairly mild so I began adding bits of garlic powder, onion and celery salt, dried basil, dried thyme, pepper. Tasted. Added a bit more pepper and celery salt. Wow! It tastes great now and I’m just letting it simmer until dinner, thinking that it will thicken up a bit and taste even better by then!
I’ve often made broth from bits and pieces in the freezer and almost always have a bag of celery tops, carrot ends, onion ends, chicken parts/bones etc. in the freezer for broth but I’ve never actually made soup like this before. I’m already a convert just based on my tastes while it simmered!