Again with those frozen meatballs!
Saw an easy looking recipe which was basically to take a can of cream of mushroom soup, add 1/2 cup of sour cream, mix it up, pour it over some meatballs, and bake. Well, I don’t use canned soups for my cooking so I made up a homemade mushroom sauce, added the sour cream, thawed some meatballs, poured the sauce over them and baked them at 350 while I made some white rice. Hardly healthy, but a good quick warm meal.
Meatballs in Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 small can of mushroom pieces, drained, or 1/4 cup fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion OR onion powder
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 cup milk or broth or milk and bullion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 meatballs
- Melt the butter. Saute the mushrooms and onions a few minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. (I always heat the milk for 2 minutes in the microwave at this point.) Slowly whisk in the milk or broth, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Let this cool a bit and then stir in the sour cream. Put the meatballs in a 9×9 pan and pour the sauce over them, stirring well. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or so.