Marlo is off camping for a bit and I wanted to send him off with a treat. I had used some condensed milk to make these carnitas but had most of the can left over. I found Nigella Lawson’s Blondies in her cookbook Nigella Kitchen. Oh my are they good!
I wouldn’t call these “blondies” because of the chocolate chips but the flavor is great! The vanilla-ish taste of the condensed milk is fantastic and they have just the right texture for me, nice and chewy and then crunchy from the chocolate chips.
I packed up most of Nigella Lawson’s Blondies for the camping trip but saved back a few for me. I wish I’d saved a few more!
Nigella Lawson’s Blondies
- 2 cups oatmeal (not instant)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 10 Tbs softened butter (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a 9×13 pan with aluminum foil.
- Combine the oats, flour and baking soda in a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar in another bowl, then beat in the condensed milk.
- Stir in the oats, flour and baking soda until well mixed.
- Stir in the egg, then the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and spread it out as much as you can so it's fairly level.
- Bake about 35 minutes, until it looks cooked on the top and is starting to pull back from the edges of the pan. It will still be a bit "wibbly" in the middle but this will firm up as it cools.