It sounds strange but this Orange and Olive Salad is the best tasting salad–and pretty to look at, too! It came from Alice Waters’ The Art of Simple Food. Oranges, red onions and black olives with a simple vinaigrette. I’ve since seen it in many different forms in different cookbooks but I like her simple approach.
I like to get the salad ready a bit ahead of time, get the dressing made in the jar and then put them together just before eating.
Orange and Olive Salad
- 3 medium oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 black olives, pitted and halved
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Scatter the onions and olives over the orange slices.
- Put the orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small jar with a lid, then shake it together.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad. (You may not need it all.)