I periodically make a coconut curry with either chicken or tofu and a variety of vegetables depending on what I have on hand. I follow the basic recipe on the jar of Thai red curry paste. Start your rice cooking while you fix this and it should all be done about the same time. This is way better with 1/4 cup fresh basil strips but I didn’t have any fresh basil last night so used dried. It was still quite delicious, although I missed the fresh basil taste.
Chicken and Red Curry
- 1 Tbs red (or green) Thai curry paste
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1-3 Tbs Thai fish sauce
- 2 Tbs dried basil
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut in small pieces
- 1 small can of bamboo shoots
- 1/2 a red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- In a large skillet, stir the curry paste into the coconut milk and simmer gently 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the broth, brown sugar, and fish sauce. Then add the chicken and vegetables. Simmer gently, stirring now and then, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. Serve over rice.
Last night I also made a sort of cucumber and sprout salad to go with this.