During the summer especially, I like having a salad or two in the fridge to serve as side dishes for dinner or a main dish for lunch. A good friend served this Rice Salad with Chicken, Black Beans and Feta when I was over at her house for lunch and shared the recipe. As she said, this is a starting point. Mix it up and taste it. Like feta? Add more. Dislike feta? Leave it out altogether. Add more lemon juice or basil or mint to suit your tastebuds. I made it without the feta, but only because I didn’t have any in the house.
Rice Salad with Chicken and Black Beans
- 1 cup rice, cooked wild rice blend is good
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 15- oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil or mint
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, then taste and adjust the amount of onion, cheese, basil, lemon juice, etc. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. Leftovers are great the next day too.