Watch out! I got a digital camera today. First picture had to be of the garden tomatoes.
When I first started cooking I wanted exact measurements for everything. Even salsa. But now, I realize that you use what you have, you vary it depending on what you’re doing and whom you are serving–and maybe you just feel like something a bit different one day so you change it! Here’s my best guess on my current basic salsa. I always taste and adjust if needed.
Tomato Salsa or Pico del Gallo
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 a jalapeno, seeded and minced or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon lime juice optional
- salt to taste
- Mix everything together and taste. Adjust as needed.
If you want add:
- lemon juice instead of lime, although I really prefer lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cucumber for extra crunch if you like
- more garlic or onion or cilantro, depending on which way you lean
This goes great with Cold Avocado Soup, chips, burritos, scrambled eggs…