My daughter Sarah keeps making this old recipe for apple crisp that does not have any oats in the topping so I’m posting this for her, as I don’t seem to have put our other recipe up here yet.
This comes from a great old cookbook, More is Less by Doris Longacre. People from all over contributed their favorite frugal recipes and ideas.
Apple Crisp with Oatmeal Topping
- 3 cups sliced or chopped apples
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbs water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats not instant but the 5 minute kind
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Grease a 9×9 baking dish.
- Combine apples, flour, sugar, salt, and water and toss together, then put in the baking dish.
- With pastry blender, cut the butter into the oats, salt and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle on top of the apples, then bake 35 minutes, until the apples are soft.