Instead of the usual chili powder heavy taco flavoring, I went for a lighter touch last night with these Soft Chicken Tacos with Lime and Oregano.
I used just one chicken breast (really half a chicken breast because they’re already split in half when you buy them boneless, skinless) as there were just two of us for dinner. It worked out perfectly, with just enough left for one more taco for lunch today!
Soft Chicken Tacos with Lime and Oregano
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed in smallish cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- tortillas of your choice
- grated cheese
- sour cream
- more green onions
- diced avocados
- shredded lettuce
- Sprinkle the chicken cubes with salt and pepper while the oil is heating in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook, stirring, until done. (The time will depend on how large your chicken pieces are.)
- Add the green onions and cook another minute, stirring.
- Add the vinegar, lime juice and oregano and stir well, then cook over medium low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat and warm the tortillas one at a time, laying them down in the skillet for a minute, then turning over until warmed through.
- Put some chicken in each tortilla and let everyone top their tacos the way they like at the table.
These are good as is but I may play around to spice them up a bit.