If you keep a few 28 ounce cans of crushed, pureed or whole tomatoes in your pantry, you’ll never be too far away from some good spaghetti sauce. Here’s a great easy recipe from Sara Moulton’s Everyday Family Dinners.
Marinara Sauce from Sarah Moulton
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion a small onion or half a larger one
- 2 tsp minced or pressed garlic a few cloves
- 1 28- oz can tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper optional but gives a nice kick!
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese at the table
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring. Add the garlic and cook a minute, then add the tomato puree. Add the crushed red pepper if you're using. It makes the sauce a bit spicy.
- Stir it all together, bring to a simmer and cook, covered partially, about 20 minutes. Heat some pre-cooked meatballs or sausage in the sauce if you like, then top with some freshly grated Parmesan.