Swim team has started up here. I know countless families wrestle with how to have dinner on the table before/after games and practices. I recently bought The Weekly Feeder : A Revolutionary Shopping, Cooking and Meal Planning System at the recommendation of a CheapCooking reader. It’s organized to provide you with a complete week’s worth of menus, including an organized grocery shopping list. She called this Baseball Casserole. I adapted it to make a smaller portion (still way more than 3 of us could eat but good for lunches I think) and added some cheese
Sports Night Casserole
- 3-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts or equivalent amount of tenders
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheese to sprinkle on the top
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Cook the chicken until just barely done in the oven or microwave. 10 minutes or so in the oven. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and add the minced garlic to it.
- In a casserole dish, add the rice, broth, butter and garlic, corn, tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to mix.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes to an hour. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Next time I might used those Rotel tomatoes, diced tomatoes with diced green chili peppers, to kick it up a notch in flavor.