As much as I cook mostly from scratch, I will admit to picking up cake mixes when they go on sale for $1 or less. The kids can easily whip up a cake with them, the flavor is good, and to me the price is reasonable at $1. Plain cakes get a bit boring and predictable however and there are some fun recipes that start with a cake mix but will leave any guests begging for the recipe. This Springtime Cake with mandarin oranges and pineapples in it is moist and looks quite special with its mound of white frosting. The fruit adds a lot of moistness and flavor.
For the cake:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 10 oz can mandarin oranges undrained
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
For the frosting:
- 15 oz can crushed pineapple
- 9 oz container whipped topping like Cool Whip
- 3.4 oz box of instant vanilla pudding
Make the Cake
- Beat all the ingredients together on high for 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl now and then. Bake as directed and cool completely.
Make the Frosting
- Mix the frosting ingredients together on medium until well blended, about 2 minutes. Spread it over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the cake if you're not serving immediately.