Although we eat a lot of meat, we also all like tofu so I often find myself playing around with different stir fries with tofu. The original recipe for this called for hoisin sauce but i didn’t have any so used some jarred black bean sauce instead. It also called for yellow pepper but I used red pepper. It called for a can of water chestnuts and snow peas, but I made do with broccoli. Obviously you can easily play around with the exact ingredients. Just add the firmer vegetables earlier so they have more chance to cook.
Regarding fresh ginger: I buy a knob at the store periodically and keep it in a bag in the freezer. I chop off what I need and put the rest back in the freezer. Then peel and mince as needed.
I like to serve with brown rice, which takes about 45 minutes to cook. Start that cooking, chop all the vegetables, and then start cooking this about 15 minutes before the rice is done.
Stir-Fried Tofu and Broccoli
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1 inch cubes or so
- 2 Tbs black bean or hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 5-6 green onions, minced
- 1 cup yellow or red or orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Cube the tofu and place in a bowl. Toss with the black bean or hoisin sauce and let marinate while you fix everything else.
- Chop all the vegetables so they're ready to go.
- Heat the sesame oil and soy sauce in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry a few minutes. Add the green onions, carrots, and pepper slices and cook 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add other vegetables like broccoli, snow peas, and water chestnuts. Add the broth. Stir and cook another few minutes.
- Add the tofu and cook, stirring, another 5 minutes or so.
Leave a Reply