My daughter got this recipe from her boyfriend’s Aunt Vilia. She made it for us a while back and we all loved it so I asked her to make it again and share the recipe with me.
The original recipe called for tarragon instead of dill but her boyfriend’s family is Lithuanian and she said they prefer dill so that’s how she makes it. I may try it with tarragon next because I like tarragon, too!
I used a mix of red and gold potatoes.
If you prefer a mayonnaise-based potato salad, try my grandmother’s version, which has a mix of mayonnaise and sour cream to give it a little zing!
Aunt Vilia’s French Potato Salad
- 2.5 pounds red new potatoes
- 1 Tbs Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp tarragon or dill
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
- Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain and let cool a bit until you can handle them. Slice the potatoes into medium-sized slices.
- In a large bowl, blend the mustard, salt, pepper, herbs, garlic, vinegar and oil.
- Add the potatoes, onions and parsley and toss gently to combine.
- Cover and chill for at least 3 hours before serving for the best flavor!