I did NOT soak the beans, just rinsed them and then covered with water and cooked about 2 hours, plus the 30 minutes at the end so don’t be put off if it’s early afternoon and you decide to try these. I used them as a starter course but they’d make an excellent dinner with some cornbread or tortillas and some simple vegetable. I’ve had mole sauce on chicken before but never like this. It adds an interesting and delicious flavor to the black beans.
Black Bean Mole
- 1 pound black beans
- 3 quarts water
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved and seeded
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs cocoa powder
- 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
- sour cream and cilantro as garnish optional
- Rinse and look through the dried beans. I rarely find anything but still look. Old habits die hard. Cover the beans with the water and add the celery and jalapeno. Simmer for 2 hours or until soft. Remove the onion and jalapeno.
- Heat the oil and saute the onion until golden. Sprinkle with the sugar and stir. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Turn off the heat and add the cocoa, chili powders and vinegar. Stir this into the beans and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped cilantro if you have it.