With the weird weather here, I was torn about what to fix for dinner for my two nieces who came tonight. I started out thinking I’d barbecue but then the forecast was for rain. When I went to the grocery store I saw a 7 blade roast on sale for $5.30, marked down $2. So that was the decision maker: I made Pot Roast with Gravy. But I’d already decided on this salad that looked interesting, so I went ahead and made it, even though it seems more like a summer thing. It was good, very crunchy with the raw broccoli and cauliflower. The dressing was quite simple but had a good taste, albeit a bit sweeter than I normally like. I might go for less sugar and more vinegar next time.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- 1-2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1 -2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped optional, I left this out
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Layer the broccoli, cauliflower, Cheddar cheese, bacon, and egg in a bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Ladle over the salad and serve.
My guess is that this might be even tastier tomorrow. I have just a bit of leftovers so I’ll see.