These are like corn tortillas but made with whole wheat flour. I got the recipe from The Everything Indian Cookbook: 300 Tantalizing Recipes–From Sizzling Tandoori Chicken to Fiery Lamb Vindaloo (Everything: Cooking). I halved the original recipe because I’m only cooking for two (plus lunch leftovers).
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/8 cup warm water
- a bit of oil for your hands
- butter to spread on the cooked chapati
- Mix the wheat flour and water together in a bowl, then add the water a bit at a time, stirring until incorporated. Grease with your hands with the oil a bit and then knead the dough about ten minutes. It should be "tacky" not sticky. Lightly sticky but not so some sticks to your hand. If it's too sticky slowly work a bit more flour into it. If it's falling apart and not sticking together, work some water a few drops at a time into it.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 30 minutes while you fix the rest of your dinner.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball, then roll out with a rolling pin into 5" or 6" circles. I just laid the pieces on a plate but they stuck together a bit when it came time to cook so maybe you want to dust with a bit of flour or separate with towels. Cover until ready to cook.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. I used a cast iron frying pan. Cook about 1 minute on each side. Then press down around the edges with a towel (to protect your fingers). Hopefully the bread will puff up a bit. Some of mine did and some did not. Oh well. Practice makes perfect, eh? 😉
- Place the chapati in a cloth lined bowl until ready to serve. Brush with a bit of butter just before serving.
thanks for that dude! awesome idea, interesting read. ive been trying to convince my mates that we should have a lads curry night in instead of going out every week, and actually did it last week. effin great success, i can tell you! i found a tasty chicken and vegetable and a few others from this wicked curry recipes site, and even made the naan myself too! who said guys cant cook!