Tonight’s experiment: Chicken and Mushrooms in Sour Cream. It started as a recipe in Mom’s Updated Recipe Box, one of my “used every week” cookbooks. But I didn’t have the cream of chicken soup the recipe called for, so used some cream of mushroom instead. Then, knowing one daughter really likes mushrooms, I figured I might as well add a can of sliced mushrooms since I was using the mushroom soup anyway. The smell is already driving us crazy!
Chicken and Mushrooms in Sour Cream
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbs oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 1 small can mushrooms or use fresh and saute with the onions
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk nonfat evaporated milk works great in recipes like this!
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 can cream soup mushroom or chicken
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- Saute the chicken breasts in the butter and oil until browned. Remove to a buttered/sprayed 9x9 pan.
- Saute the onion until soft. (Add the fresh mushrooms if using so they get sautéed as well.)
- Put the onion and mushrooms over the chicken.
- Mix up the soup, sherry, and evaporated milk. Pour over the chicken, onion, and mushrooms.
- Cover and bake at 325 for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and mix in the sour cream. Spoon sauce over chicken. Serve with rice or egg noodles or mashed potatoes.