I’ve made this Fannie Farmer recipe a few time in the past month. Prior to this I’d always followed a corn bread recipe with a 3/4 cup cornmeal to 1 cup flour ratio, regular milk, 1 egg, and some bacon grease or shortening.
This one has 2 eggs, a ratio of 1:1 of the corn meal and flour, sour cream rather than milk, and melted butter. The first time I followed the recipe as far as the ingredients went but baked it at a lower temperature for a bit longer. This time, I had no sour cream so used plain yogurt instead and I swear it tasted just as good as the first time! A while back I’d made up some pancakes that called for buttermilk or sour cream or plain yogurt so I figured they were pretty interchangeable.
Corn Bread with Sour Cream or Yogurt
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- 4 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt or buttermilk?
- 4 Tbs melted butter or other fat
- Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9×9 pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ones together in a separate bowl, then combine them quickly and mix lightly.
- Bake in a greased 9×9 pan for 20 minutes.